All the recipes we share are ones that feature ingredients that are easy to find in stores, if you don't already have them in your cupboard. For this sour cream coffee cake recipe, you will need:
- 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts- if you are allergic to nuts, then just omit this ingredient. Not a big deal.
- 3 tablespoons of cold, sliced butter- unsalted? Sure.
- Quarter teaspoon of salt- kosher? Go for it. Sea salt? Go for it. Regular? You betchya.
- 1 and a half teaspoons of ground cinnamon.
- Half cup of all-purpose flour.
- Quarter cup of brown sugar
- Half teaspoon of salt - not a typo. You'll need this.
- Half teaspoon of baking soda.
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 and a half cups of cake flour
- 1 and a quarter cup of sour cream
- 1 and a half teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs at room temp
- 1 and a half cups of sugar - granulated
- 12 tablespoons of butter- you'll need this plus the other butter
And for the glaze:
- Half cup of sugar- confectioners
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Now, let's to baking so you can enjoy this with your K-cup coffee!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. While that's heating up, use non-stick spray and some flour on a tube baking pan (10 inches).
- Mix the butter and the sugar in a bowl either with an electric mixer or manually. With a mixer, use a paddle attachment for about 5 minutes. Do this until the mix is lighter in color and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and then mix in the vanilla extract and the sour cream. In that order.
- Grab a mixing bowl, sift the baking powder, flour, salt, and baking soda into it. Put the mixer on a slow setting, then mix in the powder mixture and mix until it's all mixed in. Now, you can mix it some more manually for a bit.
For the streusel:
- Grab the brown sugar, flour, salt, butter, and cinnamon and mix in a bowl. Use your fingers to form crumbles. If you are using nuts, mix them in here.
Back to the cake:
- Grab 50 percent of the batter and spread in the tube pan. Toss about 3/4 cup of the streusel into the this. Mix the rest of the batter into the pan and spread it, then place the rest of the streusel on the top of it. Bake it for an hour; monitor until it looks done and the toothpick test comes out clean.
Now, let the cake cool, this will be about half an hour. Move the cake (make sure the streusel side is on top) onto a plate. Mix the confectioners sugar and the syrup with a whisk. Make it like a glaze. Spread on top of the cake.
Now slice and enjoy with your coffee. Spread the happiness and love!